Sign in to follow this  
David

Net Neutrality - Status

3 posts in this topic

As the process continues for Net Neutrality, I am pleased to say that we have the Senate has voted in favor of restoring net neutrality. While we still have a long way to go, this is a HUGE stepping stone for us. 

If you are located in the US, I encourage you to continue to speak your freedoms and fight for net neutrality. How do you think the outcome will be for net neutrality?

I'm looking from a more economic standpoint, because if people really want their net neutrality, they can protect it themselves without needing laws to do it for them. VPNs, VPSes, I2P and other meshnet protocols exist to evade censorship and stop the throttling of certain services, if the need arises. People just don't seem to know about it, that's all.

Since I'm not American, take my opinions with a grain of salt. I'm Canadian, so a bit further North, but net neutrality wasn't protected in the U.S until very recently. With the threat of it being taken away, people are scared but don't seem to remember what it was like in the past.

ISPs will not simply up the price on a certain service, like people say they will. It's a simple fact of economics. You know why? Because another competitor can just say "Hey, I won't throttle your Netflix, instead, pay a 3$ premium on your internet plan (while no plans have any form of throttling)' and after only an hour, the ISP that throttles will lose about 80% of its client-base, even if their base price is that three dollars cheaper.

Call up your ISP, you can have fun with this one. Tell them you're going to cancel because there is a better plan in your area, or someone set up their own infrastructure and offers a better pricing for the service. Watch as your ISP shakes in rage and offers you a 20% discount on your plan. If they don't, just hang up, you don't need to cancel. You won't even need to have to specify any details about the plan in question, assuming it exists, but this just proves that net neutrality doesn't really have any effect on whatever premium your ISP is giving you.

If people were genuinely concerned about the well-being of their internet beloved, they would look into stuff like I2P or Zeronet. The fact of the matter is, they just don't. They can cry all they want, but if you tell them about alternatives to protect their own neutrality, or link them a guide to create a neighborhood meshnet that everyone can use, they'll throw back some snarky comment like 'haha, i'm not a nerd.' They won't even take a minute to read through what it entails, no matter how simple it may be. 

18 hours ago, Lain said:

I'm looking from a more economic standpoint, because if people really want their net neutrality, they can protect it themselves without needing laws to do it for them. VPNs, VPSes, I2P and other meshnet protocols exist to evade censorship and stop the throttling of certain services, if the need arises. People just don't seem to know about it, that's all.

Since I'm not American, take my opinions with a grain of salt. I'm Canadian, so a bit further North, but net neutrality wasn't protected in the U.S until very recently. With the threat of it being taken away, people are scared but don't seem to remember what it was like in the past.

ISPs will not simply up the price on a certain service, like people say they will. It's a simple fact of economics. You know why? Because another competitor can just say "Hey, I won't throttle your Netflix, instead, pay a 3$ premium on your internet plan (while no plans have any form of throttling)' and after only an hour, the ISP that throttles will lose about 80% of its client-base, even if their base price is that three dollars cheaper.

Call up your ISP, you can have fun with this one. Tell them you're going to cancel because there is a better plan in your area, or someone set up their own infrastructure and offers a better pricing for the service. Watch as your ISP shakes in rage and offers you a 20% discount on your plan. If they don't, just hang up, you don't need to cancel. You won't even need to have to specify any details about the plan in question, assuming it exists, but this just proves that net neutrality doesn't really have any effect on whatever premium your ISP is giving you.

If people were genuinely concerned about the well-being of their internet beloved, they would look into stuff like I2P or Zeronet. The fact of the matter is, they just don't. They can cry all they want, but if you tell them about alternatives to protect their own neutrality, or link them a guide to create a neighborhood meshnet that everyone can use, they'll throw back some snarky comment like 'haha, i'm not a nerd.' They won't even take a minute to read through what it entails, no matter how simple it may be. 

Something I've noticed is the push for VPN's has become so much stronger. It seems that VPN companies are providing users a friendly interface to integrate a VPN. Personally, I think VPN's are the first step to getting consumers aware of privacy and the rights they should have.