Lain

The absolute state of Intel

6 posts in this topic

Just have a look at what happened over roughly the last year.

>AMD competitive for the first time in like a decade, releasing Ryzen which gets amazing performance

>Spectre Hits, Now new Spectre Variants

>10nm tech gets fucked up and delayed, AMD now moving to outsource 7nm

>Processor prices skyrocketing so no one wants to buy the new 2000$ i9 processors.

How far do you think this will last? Will Intel finally have to invent some new arch? Do you think they'll adopt RISC-V to have a safer setup, or are they still too money hungry to use anything that may be even remotely beneficial to any developer or consumer?

I think this should be in general chat... but Intel is far superior to AMD when you get into business CPUs
EX:  Xeon processor I have which is 8 y.o and its got 6cores @ 3.47Ghz bought it for $120. I think AMD is on the right track but they'll need to step up a lot more to come even close to Intel quality

13 minutes ago, bk360 said:

I think this should be in general chat... but Intel is far superior to AMD when you get into business CPUs
EX:  Xeon processor I have which is 8 y.o and its got 6cores @ 3.47Ghz bought it for $120. I think AMD is on the right track but they'll need to step up a lot more to come even close to Intel quality

That's fair, the dedi in my basement is running a quad core Xeon and god knows how old it is, but the new EPYC line is also starting to rip into intel as well. The prices are competitive once more, and the performance rivals GOLD. And with the soon-to-be 7nm, we might see Intel really start crying.

They also paid off some company to find Meltdown in AMD to try and bring them down, which only made AMDs stock go up again because the severity wasn't nearly as high as spectre and could be solved with a software patch. Can't seem to find the article, maybe my keywords are wrong or Google is being Intel's bitch and hiding the results.

Ya know, I was talking to my dad about how I felt about AMD today and I personally think that AMD is the innovator at this time and I think will overtake Intel at the rate we are seeing Intel develop. We are seeing some pretty lackluster changes from year-to-year.

1 hour ago, David said:

Ya know, I was talking to my dad about how I felt about AMD today and I personally think that AMD is the innovator at this time and I think will overtake Intel at the rate we are seeing Intel develop. We are seeing some pretty lackluster changes from year-to-year.

I feel about that. But these lackluster changes are happening on both sides, AMD finally decided to step it up and make their performance a bit better, but we still rarely see a 4.0GHz default CPU or higher. :/ Like, I know there are a few 4.2 or slightly above, but we've been at this for years now, why won't it get any better? We're still using x86, just as we did for decades, nothing is really new in that world, aside from ARM changes and the development of RISC-V, which doesn't look like it'll have a wide adoption anytime soon.

If anything, I think Nvidia is actually innovating a lot more than any other big tech company, really. They're coming up with all kinds of stuff to actually start bringing new technology to the table. SDKs, new hardware, development APIs, etc. are all being built for regular consumers to get them on board if they have a serious project in mind. Not exactly something to buy just to tinker with, the Jetson products have price tags of a few hundred, but if by hell they don't have power...
https://developer.nvidia.com/
I actually stayed at an Airbnb while traveling around Japan, and my host worked at Nvidia, so we hit it off immediately and talked all night about all kinds of technology like this. I think if anything, they're going to be leading the next technological revolution, if you will.