Sign in to follow this  
David

Brackets.io

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I wanted to share a GREAT front end development tool I've been using. It's called Brackets. Just going to share some of the features via a screenshot:

683056759_ScreenShot2018-05-11at8_16_55PM.thumb.png.afd7b149a03f051cfef9c6c487581edc.png

If you're a front end developer, I'd love to know your thoughts on it and what you think of it. My favorite feature is the live preview. Especially when doing small HTML projects.

Ah yeah, remember hearing about this a few years ago (or maybe just one year and my timelines are fucked up.)

It's probably the best for frontend devs or designers, tbh, but it stops there. Live preview and a bunch of features really help make your workflow completely smooth (if you care enough to learn them haha.) Only drawback is that it's made for only frontend devs, if you're writing a backend too, you're gonna have to opt for a better editor. Atom does most of what Brackets does (with the help of some plugins) and because it's not limited to HTML/CSS/JS/preprocessors, you're free to write your backend code or play with other languages/frameworks.

Also, performance-wise, not optimal because it does use Electron so yeah haha.

4 hours ago, Lain said:

Ah yeah, remember hearing about this a few years ago (or maybe just one year and my timelines are fucked up.)

It's probably the best for frontend devs or designers, tbh, but it stops there. Live preview and a bunch of features really help make your workflow completely smooth (if you care enough to learn them haha.) Only drawback is that it's made for only frontend devs, if you're writing a backend too, you're gonna have to opt for a better editor. Atom does most of what Brackets does (with the help of some plugins) and because it's not limited to HTML/CSS/JS/preprocessors, you're free to write your backend code or play with other languages/frameworks.

Also, performance-wise, not optimal because it does use Electron so yeah haha.

Do you frequently use Atom? I am super interested in doing back end development.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:33 PM, David said:

Do you frequently use Atom? I am super interested in doing back end development.

Actually, no. For anything that requires any kind of testing (scripts, compiling, etc.) I tend to use VSCode because it does have an amazing environment for that kind of stuff, being able to open a shell right in the IDE and type in "python script.py" to test right then and there. But for a few things, notably HTML/CSS/plaintext and sometimes ASM, I use Sublime because the performance is better. I'm kinda sad that it's all closed source, but at least I can fuck them over for that by using a public license key.

I used to use Atom as my go-to because the community is so massive and there are thousands and thousands of good plugins and themes. It's really well documented and everything, but I would have horrible memory-leaking issues all the fucking time. If the editor was open for more than an hour, it would start to slow down horribly to the point where it took five seconds for a letter that I typed to appear. But, I mean, javascript, amirite? Electron is shit, and it will stay shit until they finally decide to start optimizing it as much as people try to optimize gcc.

Ironically, VSCode also uses javascript, but for some reason I've literally never encountered a single issue with performance. It's also much more lightweight than Atom. It's seriously fast, and open source too :)

15 hours ago, bk360 said:

I'm not quite sure what this is lol but is it similar to notepad++?

Basically, but with extra features that are specific to frontend web developers.

• Like 1